Tuesday, April 24, 2007

My Modern Day Pioneer Adventure

Just when you think I’m done blogging about my snow sob stories, I’m back on my soapbox ready for more. And yes, for those of you checking your calendars, it’s almost May. I’ve been really excited about Colton’s swim lessons starting today and so even though I woke up to snow, I religiously checked the roads outside my window all morning. When it came time to leave, I decided that since I’m in the back of the neighborhood and my street is usually the worst, the roads didn’t look that bad. I hop into my trusty, ‘low to the ground, I’ve got no 4 wheel drive,’ elantra and we’re on our way. Well, almost on our way. Mr. Plow Man had yet to make it through our neighborhood so two streets up, I get stuck. Somehow I manage to coast down the street I’m stuck on and settle next to a curb. Let’s preface the next part of the story with this: I am married to the only man on earth who could put up with me as a wife. I’m cold, stuck and frustrated as all get out so I call Evan. It’s not his fault the car’s stuck and that it’s snowing in late April, but it’s not one of my shining moments, so I let him know it might as well be. He sweetly tells me that he’ll leave work and come help me if I need him to. Let’s be honest, his mazda wouldn’t be able to fare much better but that’s beside the point. It’s the thought that counts. So I call Chanel and bottom line … she saves the day. She says she’s on her way and I’m thinking that she won’t be able to get this deep into the neighborhood. Here’s the pioneer part. I grab Colt and his car seat and start trudging through the snow. That’s not even the best part. I’m wearing flip flops. What the heck was I thinking?? Now is where you roll your eyes at the crazy Texan. Just because you’re going to the pool doesn’t mean you wear flip flops when there’s a blizzard outside! Lesson learned. So my toes are burning and my child is whimpering because of the snow pelting his face. And that’s when this modern-day pioneer sees her rescue wagon. Chanel’s sturdy van barrels down the road, whipping through the snow like it’s no big deal. Chanel is a true friend. She didn’t berate me for my choice of footwear and started the heat full blast on my pathetic feet. The van made it to and from swim lessons and now I’m at home, nice and warm, with some seriously increased respect for the real pioneers.

6 comments:

Cristy said...

Awwwww.... ha ha ha ha... I mean awwwww.... poor girl! :)

Yea, I've pulled my flip flops out on less than warm days lately, just hoping it would make the weather warmer cause I was willing it too.... didn't work for me either.

I wish I had been there to save you! :(

Ladybug said...

Hey Texas girl! As a California gal I wouldn't have fared any better but thank heaven for Chanel! What a great lady!!

I just heard on the weather report that more snow is expected tonite!! So sorry! You guys are having the worst winter in ages in Colorado and we are having the driest year in more than 130 years out here. Guess Evan will be looking for work in Texas next year? Love ya babe!

Ryan said...

GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!Thats all I can say. well not really....

glad I could be there sister jones!
it was hilariously funny!!!
the best was when you started SHOVELING in your flip flops!!!!!
You would have kicked some pioneer tail back in the day!

chris+amber said...

Oh, Rebecca! I am so sorry that happened to you. I'd be ticked if it was snowing at the end of April too! I would wear flip flops in the middle of December at BYU because I am so not a closed-toe shoe girl. Although your experience was so sad to read, it was entertaining to read the story in the words of Rebecca Anne Carleton Jones! I'll pray for some rays of flippin' sunshine in Colorado to shine through soon just for you! How did Colt like his swim lessons?

Christine said...

oh...ha ha ha!!! I can just picture you out there in your flip flops! Too funny! Glad someone was able to come rescue you! :)

Ladybug said...

Congrats on the new car!! Super exciting! Now you can fight off that nasty Colorado snowstorm with 4-wheel drive. Yeehaw!