Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Halloween Post

Here's the Halloween recap just in time for Thanksgiving. Oh how I wish I loved Halloween more, but after soaking up the whole turkey/pie/football thing today (and prepping for black Friday in the wee hours of tomorrow) I've determined if it weren't for the kids I really could do without it. Even stealing the kids' candy didn't hold quite the same charm for me this year - only one Twix in the whole bunch. Sigh. But we soldiered through it and here's the documentation that yes kids, there really is a Halloween.

Evan was bound and determined that he make the costumes this year. Another Sigh. I loved that he wanted to but really, where was he going to find the time? Never one to step on my husband's dreams and aspirations I verified with him 426 times that with everything else he had stacked on his plate, the costumes would be ready come October 31st. Here's Colt ready for his Preschool Parade and completely thrilled with his Daddy's handiwork. I was pretty doubtful of my abilities of attaching the claws and getting the makeup just right so Evan met me on his lunch break in front of the preschool to perfect Wolverine. What a Dad.
Fast forward a few days and Cade's tranformer costume is still sitting in the garage unfinished. While we gallivanted around in downtown Chicago my saint of a mother hit up most every store in our area looking for a costume in Cade's size. There were none to be found. Who knew those things really did sell out? Can't we procrastinators catch a break? I left for our church's Halloween party since I was helping with it and wished Evan best wishes and good luck with Cade's costume. When I finally ran into them at the party Cade was happy as could be. Recognize the Batman costume from say...two years ago? Oh and need a cape Cade? Here's a pillowcase.
Last but not least we celebrated the actual day with some church, handing out candy, and our spooky feast. Remember when I decided to get creative last year for our Halloween dinner? Well this year I decided to go all out ... and make the exact same thing. I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of creative. At least this mama tried right?
Now onto the real holidays (just kidding all you Halloween lovers out there). Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and ate at least as much as I did. I'm thankful for elastic waistbands.

7 comments:

chanel said...

SUUUUUUUUPER dinner!!! WOW! You are so much fun, what a spread!!! And the costumes are AWESOME!! Hello! Evan is hilarious, the facial hair on Colt is killing me!!! He's a handsome little wolverine (whatever that is!?!?) and Cade's cape is THE BEST!

Now like you said.. the REAL holiday...oh how I missed you yesterday MORNING- I drove past a Walgreen and it said 6:05am and 16 degrees. I was LATE and COLD. Not much fun alone though- hope you had a blast with all the Carlton gals!!!

love ya and MISS ya!!

Julia said...

I sooo hear you on the "now to the real holidays!". I always love it when Halloween is over. Looks like you did go all out though..amazing dinner! Way to go.

Cristy said...

Dude, bring on the real holidays for sure! And wow to that dinner! Very cute ideas. I love the costumes. This is the first year I have ever bought a costume, I usually just help the kids throw something together literally minutes before Halloween. I just don't care!

Genevre said...

your mummies look so cute! I gave that job to Chris this year...they looked like wierd pizzas. And I ate so much at Thanksgiving maternity pants were uncomfortable afterwards...but the stuffing sure was good going down. Cade's wolverine looks awesome too!

Ashley said...

Your dinner is so fun - repeat or not!! And I'm totally loving the costumes - especially the pillowcase. In fact Log said he loved how pimp Wolverine/Colt looked.

Miss you a ton, already. Come live closer k?

Ladybug said...

Why change a good thing? Genius bears repeating!! Colt's costume was totally kick butt-- Evan must have been thrilled with himself. Cade was looking pretty fly for a white guy. :) Both of them are so cute and I hear you on the lame candy. Anna got pretzels and play dough and fruit snacks. How can I steal candy from a kid if there isn't any candy? Without the junk food, Halloween is seriously lame. I thought the whole point of holidays is that you could eat stuff that you know is rotten for you but be guilt free for one day. Whatever!! Can't wait to see you all so soon!! Much love!

Kerri said...

I'm so glad b/c you just verified a conversation I thought I'd made up...When Colt came in with the coolest costume ever, I all of a sudden had a flash back to us talking about Evan doing the costumes and pretty much verbatim of the things you wrote here...and when I saw Colt, then looked at Evan, I thought "Your Year to do the costumes, huh!" And it was TOTALLY AWESOME!!! ME as a Mama NEVER would have imagined something so clever :) and it melts my heart that he met you during lunch. THAT is the priceless moment of this whole story.

A sincere cyber apology needed. There is poor Cade with no costume, yet my child of the same size wore at least 4 different ones this year -- all that we just had in the costume from other saintly folks. WHY didn't I speak up and share?? Oh, because BATMAN is cooler than Tigger and all the others we could have offered, any day!

Thought of you and your Halloween feast, I really did. I came in on a close second with a Jack-o-lantern pizza.