Sunday, October 31, 2010

Ditch the Kids 2010

It's no secret that I've been somewhat...well...downright whiny lately about Evan's busy schedule and our lack of time together. I might or might not have mentioned to Evan that we haven't had an honest to goodness real date for 5 maybe 6 years (I've been known to exaggerate in dire circumstances). I've dropped hints, handed him the sitter's number, written an essay with bullet points describing why I need a night out to no avail. So imagine my surprise when, after picking my mom up from the airport on Friday, Evan was home. In the middle of the day. A workday. In the midst of my confusion (are you okay? did you lose your job? did someone DIE?) at him being home, Evan officially declared the next 24 hours as "Ditch the Kids 2010." I quickly packed a bag, left my kids in the very capable hands of my mom, and hopped the train into downtown Chicago (with Evan of course).

-We walked the streets of Chicago where I overcame my fear of being shot (big cities tend to do this to me - too much America's Most Wanted).

-We ate dinner at the cutest Italian restaurant where the food was terrible, just absolutely awful. First bad Italian experience I've had since moving to Chicagoland. This restaurant could seriously use a visit from Chef Gordon Ramsey & Kitchen Nightmares, Top Chef, Chef Boyardee, somebody.

-We headed to the theater to see The Lion King. First Broadway show I've ever seen and it was amazing.
-Stayed at a gorgeous hotel. Thank you Priceline for making it possible for us to stay here as opposed to the Motel 6.
Such a fun, spontaneous night on the town which made me realize two things. One - my husband really does listen when I talk! Two - I missed the kids that we ditched. A big thank you to my mom for making our date night happen. And Evan, you earned big time brownie points.

15 comments:

chanel said...

WHAT??????? EVAN freakin JONES NICE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!! (could you call your homeskillet here in CO and give some tips????) And Rebecca could you ask your mom to come watch my kids???

Sooooooooooooo SWEET!! Look at that hotel?!!! LOVE IT! And LION KING!! Oh I bet it was incredible! YOU SOOOOOOOOOOO DESERVE THIS GIRLFRIEND, I AM VERY VERY HAPPY FOR YOU!!!
but boo on the food, whats up with that. and im glad you weren't shot, silly girl.

Kelley Flint said...

Awesome. Evan gets big points there for planning that. We all need the "ditch the kids" nights once in a while. So glad that you enjoyed yours.

Lindsey said...

Wow! How many hints did that take? However many, it sounds like it was worth it and nicely executed. Not only a night out but dinner, play, and a nice hotel! Glad you were able to do that!

All good things said...

I Love.your.blog. I can so hear your voice! I am so glad that you are being well taken care of! I have to smile each time I read! Your kiddos are getting so big! Time flies when you are having fun!

The Piersons said...

What a nice husband! That is such a fun surprise, seriously he did earn big time brownie points. And so fun that your mom is visiting.

Ladybug said...

Yeah for Evan & your mom!! Yeah for mini break with the hubby! Hard to believe there is bad Italian food out there-- especially in Chicago. But Denise and I did manage to find really bad Indian food in London so I guess big cities are prone to bad restaurants just like small ones. So glad you had a good date. And Lion King-- the grown up version! Yeah!! It was great to see you on Sunday even for just a minute. Cade sang Itsy Bitsy Spider and had me completely melting. Much love!!

Cristy said...

Dude.

Having a heart attack almost as bad as if that actually happened to me.

You so deserve.

Well done Evan. Well done.

Kerri said...

...ahhhhhhhh.....

that's all that's coming to me right now in response to such a wonderful sincere story.

and it's pronounced, "ahhh..", like the relaxing sound of someone dipping into a relaxing bubble bath, not "ahhhh.." like the squealy sound of something being so cute at a baby shower. Say it with me, "aaahhh..."

Just to be clear.

Anonymous said...

HHAAHA I just love hearing you talk through your writings :) What a great weekend! Go Evan! We miss ya'll!!

Ashley said...

SERIOUSLY I LOVE that this happened. I had no idea - Evan totally rocks. Hello BROADWAY?? And a fancy hotel? ANd a dinner - however yucky (way sad - what did you order? HOw were the breadsticks?) Oh yea for kidless nights. So glad you and Ev could have a date, and an amazing one at that. Evan totally deserves husband of the month/year points ;). Log is still in the "I WAS going to do this for you...." stage. Fabulous. Really. :)

LOVE YOU!

Genevre said...

"Ditch the kids 2010"- does that mean this gets to be an annual thing...like something to happen again in the marriage- yeah hoo! It is nice when guys catch the vision of what we need. I am sorry about the Italian food - serious so sad..eating out is the best part of going out- am I right?!!

Jewelle said...

Oh so fun! What a wonderful husband to plan such a fun little trip.

Rach said...

Sounds like the best night. Great job Evan! I'm glad you like the show...I think I could watch that one a million times and never be tired of it!

Natalie N said...

How fun was this catching up on your blog today?! Loved hearing about your Turkey trot! 5 miles is HUGE, Rebecca... good for you!!

LOVED Wolverine!

And this Ditch the Kids 2010 was too darling for words. Way to go, Evan! What a sweet guy. I've heard great things about Chicago--how fun to experience the big city with your sweetheart! :)

Natalie N said...

p.s.--I was thinking about you today as I am getting my Christmas cards organized. Did you move this year, or are you still at Tappingo? (It's okay if I type that b/c this is a private blog, right?) :)
xoxoxo