Saturday, October 16, 2010

Some Family Fun

Today we took the time for a much needed family day. With Evan back in school, busy with deadlines at work, and church campouts (do 12 year olds really need to go on a campout every month?), I'm logging some serious hours by myself at night with my 9x13 pan of brownies and remote control. It's gotten to the point where I feel like I need to introduce myself to the hubby when he walks in the door on Friday night (I know for a fact that I have a lot of friends out there who can relate). So Evan and I had what I like to call a little "discussion" where, let's be honest, some tears were shed (mine, not Evan's) which resulted in us scheduling some family fun. Ignoring the lawn that needed to be mowed and Evan's huge pile of homework, we headed out to the farmlands of Illinois and seriously the cutest pumpkin patch you've ever seen. Better yet I remembered to charge the camera and bring it.

We started out with the wagon ride, conquered a straw maze, and headed to the petting zoo. At this point I was so in love with the farm country and cute animals, I was completely convinced that I was meant to be a farmer. Well, maybe not a farmer, but definitely a farmer's wife. That is until I actually smelled the petting zoo and determined that life in surburbia isn't so bad. Colt was noticeably nervous with the animals. He proceeded to tell us that he just loves animals as long as they aren't bigger than him. Hmmm...that narrowed it down a bit seeing as how every animal except the bunny was bigger than him. After some serious coaxing (and Evan forcibly holding his hand), here's Colt feeding the sheep. That's as close as we could get him to the poor animal and I'm pretty sure the sheep's neck will never be the same.

Cade was bound and determined to feed this goat who wanted absolutely nothing to do with him. Wouldn't even give him the simple courtesy of eye contact.

Ahh much better. The sheep will help you out Cade.
Oh my gosh, I could not get enough of these baby cows! They are seriously the cutest things! I'm pretty sure I took more pictures of them than my own kids. And I'm having some serious guilt over how much I like beef. I don't think I'll ever be the same.
Cade could not get enough of this bunny whom he aptly named "Superbunny." I mean look at that thing - he's huge! Cade looks like he's terrorizing the bunny as opposed to petting him. Poor Superbunny.
Next it was onto the pony rides. We were told that Cade's pony was named Commanche but if you asked Cade, his name was "Pretty Pony." Doesn't quite pack the same masculine punch, does it?
Colt may have been scared of the sheep but he was a natural on the pony. We might have a cowboy in training on our hands.
Picking out our pumpkins.
Such a well spent few hours of our Saturday and I'm currently campaigning to make this a yearly tradition.

15 comments:

Heathr27 said...

Did I mention I seriously have the CUTEST nephews EVER!?!? and that includes Gavin of course :)

Lindsey said...

Yeah for a fun family outing to the pumpkin patch. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. Never knew you were a fan of farmlands. Looks like you guys had a great time.

Genevre said...

I am so happy you guys got out. I think everyone gets into those "go go go" ruts until they breakdown in someway. Ian is scared to touch animals too, so Colt is not alone!

The Piersons said...

That farm looks like so much fun. I am in love with the baby animals and that rabbit, oh my gosh, what are they feeding it?

Your little family looks fabulous, I guess I didnt' realize Evan was back in school. Is he getting his masters?

You guys had such a packed summer, I can't believe you guys traveled so much, so fun!

Julia said...

Look at all those big smiles on your boys faces. Very fun..I love stuff like that. I agree that family time has to be scheduled, or it doesn't happen! Same with temple night, any date night, laundry, grocery store.... ;)

Melanie said...

Hmm, I wonder where Colt gets his fear of animals?

I love the pumpkin patch too . . .although I do feel that without a small child the experience is not quite as magical as it could be.

Kerri said...

I LOVED reading your post :) love the secret smiles that creep across while I read totally hearing you say it ;) Sounds magical. Remind me to ask you where you went...or better yet, just tell me and sans the question. We're hoping to "schedule" that time ourselves...seeing as Steve's on the brink once again for being out of town for, yes, halloween...that will be the third time since we've had kids...do we mention that carter's only 4? And where am I during these 9x13 sessions? there must be a way that two ladies can somehow make their kids sleep at the same time to help us through those husbandless hours??

chanel said...

whoa! super FUN! Farmer Rebecca, love it. this was very very funny,and made me wish EVEN MORE we were together we would have rocked that place- although i guess you did quite well without me. you have the cutest boys on earth!!! how lucky am i to be getting such great son in laws!!! and colton being skittish around the animals reminded me of evan and the place you went to in CA. like father like son i guess.
and remember what a weirdo you thought i was for LOVING the cute cows in CR? baby cows ARE SOOOO CUTE! I hear ya.
ok better call since this "comment" is ridiculously long!

Natalie N said...

You are cracking me up, as always, Rebecca! Loved hearing about this family fun adventure to the farm. So glad you were able to have a discussion and plan this outing. I didn't realize Evan went back to school. I'm right here with ya--always fun to balance life with kids, callings, and school. Good luck girl! Keep smiling! xoxo

Ashley said...

Just tried to make a pumpkin roll from scratch. First attempt failed, went to the grocery story to grab the ingredients for the 2nd time, and that crumbled/failed too. So I gave up and started blog stalking. You didn't tell me you updated! It was (almost) like Christmas seeing these fun pics of your pumpkin patch festivities. You crack me up, seriously. And it feels like it's been forever since I've see y'all - look how long your hair is getting. And Cade & Colt are soo different and soo funny. Oh I can hear Colt (NO NO Logey beah).

Oh why can't we live closer? I'd so be driving up to visit. Logan's more my roommate lately - he helps pay the rent and does his share of dishes. Besides that I haven't seen or talked to him much. Love wards/residency/life. So what if I bring a jelly roll pan of goodies to share? Preferably not a pumpkin roll :)

Kelley Flint said...

What a fun family outing. So glad you guys could make it happen. Hang in there with the scheduling. I wish I lived closer to you so we could hang out and share those brownies. Loved seeing the happy smiles on your boys' faces.

Ladybug said...

Yeah! ANOTHER POST!! SuperYeah for Family Time!! We get to benefit from your day in the sun. And I'm often seduced by the idea of "farm life" until I smell some poo or talk to someone about all the work involved. Dad still has fantasies about farm life. I feel like I need to remind him of who he & Mom both are. :) Love you lots! See you soon!!

Jewelle said...

Days like this are needed every once in awhile. More than once I have made Russ drop everything and spend time with the family.

Cristy said...

Way to talk! ;)

Loved reading about the adventure. I'm totally lame and didn't take the kids to the pumpkin land or whatever they call it (i guess Natalie got a field trip there) I just saw pumpkins for sale at the store and it just looked so much easier. Heh. I think the kids will live.

And I think I will go make my pan of brownies now for this evenings solo sit fest. Ugh.

Katie said...

We actually found that same place and went there this year for the first time too! It really was a fun little farm.