Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Starting to Adjust


It's official - I'm in love with the Chicago skyline. This was our view from the ferris wheel. Evan and I decided to venture down with the kids to Navy Pier and it is by far the best downtown I've ever been in. Not that I'm some world traveler but still. We felt like tourists the whole time because we had NO idea where we were or what we were doing. Case in point: showing up to the train station 5 minutes after the train left. No big deal right? Wrong. The next train wasn't leaving for TWO hours - no big deal except for our crankypants kids. We did what any self respecting parent would do. Loaded them up with sugar to keep 'em happy. I'm slowly falling in love with things here and there. Namely the FOOD! Why has no one ever told me that Chicagoans know how to eat??

After Navy Pier, it started to cool off and as we were walking back to the train station we passed a little park full of fountains for the kids to run around in. So much fun for them and more fun for me to rest my feet in the lovely grass. I LOVE the grass here - random but true. Any of my fellow Texans know what I'm talking about with the painful grass down there?




My sis and her hubby came down for the weekend. It was a ton of fun and in true Carleton style we ate ourselves silly. Friday night started out with Giordano's pizza and ended with some gelato. Saturday started out with some Belgian waffles, Burger King (I told you I'm obsessed) and ended with this place:

Ashley and Logan were nice enough to watch our kiddos so that Evan could take me out to an Italian place called RoSal's for a birthday dinner. I'm hoping that she posts some more pictures on her blog - thanks to Ashley/Logan and the hardworking chefs of Chicago for the best weekend ever!

15 comments:

Ashley said...

First of all, you look spicy (as evan would say) in your bday picture.

Second: It's a DANG good thing I'm pregnant because these pics of Cade and COlt make me baby hungry -oh I love those boys.

Hello Navy Pier Fun!! I think Oprah when I see that skyline (Chicago's Magnificient Miilllee). Was this the same water park with the guy on huge screen who looks like he's blowing the water on everyone?

ANYWAYS, I'm loving you're only 5 hrs away (fine, 6 with traffic/construction but hopefully not always). See you next weekend ;). I Just love saying that.

And yes, this is the longest comment I know.

chanel said...

BAWLING!!! These pictures just made my head understand WHY I ahven't seen you and I miss you even worse!!!! oh my gosh, COME BACK!! I will plant chicago grass for you to run through barefoot, just come back!!!!!!!!

oh your boys are ADORABLE!!! WONDEFUL WONDERFUL pictures!!! you and colt on the FW is precious!

And holy moly! hello sassy sexy mama! LOVE the bday pic!!!! GREAT SHOES!!!!!

chanel said...

ps- love that im the 2nd comment, cause really ash is the ONLY one I come 2nd to- ok pam too! usually im like 75th.

AND how'd ya liek the gia..... pizza? yummmmmm stuff. I think i told you they like to eat- butter and meat baby, butter and meat, and maybe a corn on the cob they picked from the corn desert.

MISS YA!
oh yeah and moving sucks!!!!

Lindsey said...

Glad you had a wonderful birthday weekend. It was great seeing you.

Missy said...

So glad to see that things are going well in your new city. The pics are great and I love Colt's new hair doo :)

Still lonely on Stockwell without you guys...and Kyler would love the fact that Cade is walking all over the place now!!

The food sounds delicious...we've just been eating our of our garden lately :) Yum Yum!! Miss you guys and take care!!

Jewelle said...

I'm glad that you are adjusting to Chicago. Your boys look like they are too! The grass here ins Texas SUCKS! It isn't even real grass, I swear! In Utah where I am from it is called, "Quack grass" and it is a weed! I've come to decide that Texans can be quite lazy when it comes to their yards, because they whine all the time if they actually have to water it! Ummm...sorry about the tangent. Enjoy your "real" grass!

Maria said...

See Chicago is a great place. Glad you are warming up to it. Love all of your photos. I hope you had a great birthday! I feel so out of touch with you girls. I will try to email soon!

Cristy said...

Yay! I'm glad you guys are getting out there and enjoying what I hear is a pretty great city. you'll love it and I can visit!

The Piersons said...

I am in love with the pictures of your boys playing. Seriously love that I have one of my own now too and hope he is as fun as yours!!

You look so hot by the way, Chicago seems to be suiting you very well.

Genevre said...

Good food can do wonders can't it! I am so glad you are enjoying Chicago.

Natalie N said...

Good for you guys!! How nice to have your sister watch the boys for you so you could have a nice birthday dinner together. I LOVE the updated pictures; Chicago is just beautiful! But your family takes the cake for beauty. I love reading about your adventures & seeing your pictures about the big city. You take care!
xoxo

Katie said...

You make me happy. I miss eating with you.

Gelato. YUM!

chanel said...

oh i love looking at your pictures, even if i have already seen them for weeks! time for new ones! and we noticed colt's hair cut!!! soooooooooo cute!!!!!!! he's a stud!!!!

Ladybug said...

Hey there! The pix of the boys in the fountain are just too cute for words! Man you guys have the cutest boys-- it makes me feel bad for the rest of the boys in the world! I agree with Chanel-- those were great shoes in the birthday pic and Italian food is always a good idea in my never very humble opinion. :) Hey, just found out there's a conference in Chicago in Sept so maybe I could swing a visit then. Probably wishful thinking on my part but I'll check it out...
Love ya!!

Robyn & Aaron said...

Girl...I'm so excited that you are loving Chicago! What a fun place to live!! We really need to come visit you guys. For real!