Monday, June 13, 2011

The day from you know where

I love my boys. A lot. Also, I hate potty training. A lot. Today was the day I decided to potty train Cade. He's three and I was convinced that as long as you waited until a boy was old enough, he could and would learn how to use the toilet like a champ. So with all of the traveling and company we’ve had going on since mid-April over, I decided it was time to get down to business. Superhero underwear? Check. Potty treats? Check. All sorts of confidence that I rock at potty training? Check. After all, Colt (from what I can remember) only had two accidents and magically became a toilet pro. So though I would sympathize with all the mothers out there who had it worse, the empathy just wasn’t there. Enter my second born child Cade and the myriad of reasons why he is so dang good for me. He humbles me like nobody’s business and reminds me that all those "amazing" motherly skills that worked so beautifully on Colton mean jack squat with him. Today we went through 8 pairs of superhero underwear, spent approximately 3 hours on the toilet coaching, pleading, bribing, begging, and not one success. Not a drop in the potty. Not ONE drop! All the while this pregnant mama spent way too long on her knees cleaning up what had to be at least 3 gallons of pee.

By 3:00 pm, I was done. Like out of my mind done. By 6:00 pm, when Evan called to tell me he’d be late from work and I was cleaning up my 8th mess of the day, there might have been some bawling and me telling Cade that he’d be the only kindergartener in diapers and it served him right. By 10:00 pm I decided to quit potty training all together until Cade’s 16 and ate my weight in cookies. Tomorrow’s a new day right?

12 comments:

chanel said...

AMEN SISTER!
Now this just proves you are hilarious and this blog is priceless.
Im going to try and find as many uses for the phrase "jack squat" as I possibly can i this next week. ;)
love ya!

Cristy said...

HAHAHA! Ah, no worries, I gave up last week at the potty training thing too. Dude, it's not for the feint at heart. Worst day ever. One thing I tried with Will (and he was three also) was a Poop Chart. I just pulled up a blank calandar on the internet and turned it into a chart and every couple of days I'd put some kind of picture of a treat or a reward (ice cream cone at McDonalds, candy out of the machine at the grocery store, that kind of thing) and every day he had a good day we'd mark of a box. If he had an accident he couldn't mark the day off. So basically rewarded for success, but no biggie if it was a bad day. Of course, at this point Will could actually go in the pot, he'd just forget. A lot. So, not much help, sorry. Anyway, if you figure out how to actually get him to go, let me know. Hailey won't go. Not a drop. Oh, she drops everywhere else...

lindsay said...

Oh dear! At least the cookies made it a little better, right? I'm avoiding the whole potty training thing like the plague. Good luck!

Katie said...

My advice? Wait a week (or two) and try again. Both of you will have forgotten the bad day (hopefully) and will be ready to give it another try. I found the more desperate I was for them to do it, the less interested they were in humoring me.

Ashley said...

A: You made me laugh and I love how real you are.

B: Sorry about yesterday, and Monday as well ;) And maybe you will look back and laugh when you think back to Cade's potty training, and Colt's accident in timeout - hahaha. Oh dear. It will be a story to tell at Cade's wedding or something - hoping he's outta diapers or depends in his case by then ;) Let his wife take care of it, right? :)

But sounds like your monster cookies turned out amazing?? I thought of you, as I ate my fair share of a best bites quinoa salad with a vinegrette (sp?) dressing and grilled chicken. If only eating that healthy makes you leave the table with a six pack.

Really it just made me wanting some monster cookies. And a pan of texas sheet cake. ;)

Ladybug said...

I love the picture of Cade grinning like he was victorious when he totally bombed at Day 1. Or maybe he was victorious if his goal was to postpone growing up for one more day. Bless your heart! Wish I had some magic cure for you but this is where all the other moms you know might come in handy. Best of luck!! Someday, somehow, victory will be yours. And I'm all about cookies as coping devices.

Lindsey said...

You always make me laugh, hard. I can envision all of what you wrote.

Not sure what else to say but good luck on that one!

Kerri said...

Fyi, ashley, YES, her Monster Cookies WERE scrumptious...truly the BEST i'd ever had, which is saying something since a certain someone in my in-law life loves making them so we get our fair share. Rebecca's cookies rocked...too much, even, that I can imagine myself giving up on potty training Just to eat those cookies. No that, sistah, is the silver lining.

Julia said...

Oh my gosh..bless your heart! And I think that is a VERY real glimpse into the horribly hard (for kid and mom) world of potty training. So sorry. :(
You deserved every single one of those cookies..like you needed me to tell you that, but yeah I'm glad you treated yourself. :)

The Piersons said...

Okay so I love your blog post, seriously, I can't even imagine the attempt so I am impressed with that. I say wait until after the baby is born but what do I know??

Okay so I have been meaning to write you and tell you how much I LOVED seeing you when you came. Seriously I appreciated you stopping by so much because I know it added time to your already short trip. Your boys are just the cutest and I loved your pregnant belly. I am so mad we didn't take a picture!
PS- we had the nursery painted, the patience ran out and I paid someone to do it. :)

Genevre said...

Forget it until the baby is several months old. He could regress when she is born anyway, so why not give him and you a few months of time. Sounds so not fun!

Anna said...

So I've been catching up on your blog tonight. Love your pictures and your posts always make me laugh. And a baby girl! Congratulations! Miss you...I wish we could be neighbors.