Friday, September 02, 2011

The first day


So it happened. Colt started kindergarten and not just any ole' kindergarten but full day kindergarten. This boy is gone from 9 am to 3:30 pm and for someone who has become quite accustomed to him being by my side since he was born, this has been an adjustment. For his part, Colton is loving it and can barely be bothered to give his mama a hug when he leaves. To be honest, I teared up when he first walked into the school. He seemed so small and tentative at first and with my hormones going strong and all, I probably would have cried if it weren't for the crowd of people standing around dropping their own kids off. I'm not one for public emotion. One downside to full day kindergarten is Colt comes home wired. And I do mean off the wall, can't sit still, I'm going to lose my mind if he keeps this up wired. Whatever happened to Colton being so exhausted after a long day of school, that he comes home and curls up to sleep?

Here are the traditional first day of school cookies.

Which a certain little brother was happy to help eat.

And in keeping this blog real, here's how a mom of a two week old baby makes "homemade" cookies.

9 comments:

chanel said...

awwwww, he is so sweet! you win an award for surviving all day kinder, you are seriously SUPER MOM! You birth 10 pound babies and don't crumble to a weeping mess (with post baby hormones none the less) at 1st day of Kindergarten?!!? You're like steel and Im a little scared. Illinois is making you HARD CORE. Very impressive. Still love me when I have to be ripped off of Brynnly so she can go to kindergarten, Im just saying, I have separation anxiety with that baby!

Congrats to Colt! We're proud of him and just wish he was in Lauren's class, where diversity is nonexistent in Whitebread, CO.

Ashley said...

I was torn- do I just comment here or call you to tell you how fabulous you are to make cookies on colts first day of kindergarten!!!! And Cade's face Eating them is priceless! Ps sometimes those cookies are better than homemade. Love you. So glad I got over being cranky and we could talk!! Haha. Hmm.

lindsay said...

Leah has her first day on Tuesday and I'm getting the jitters! Delaney is priceless. I wish I could snuggle her.

Katie said...

I'm glad he's loving it! I was looking at some of the posts from the very beginning of your blog, and I couldn't believe how much baby Colton looks like 5 year old Colton! It's AMAZING!

RAPN! said...

She is beautiful. Congrats!! Glad you are adjusting well. PS I make cookies the same way!

Ladybug said...

I probably would have cried so I think you are super brave. And I love the tradition of fresh cookies for school. When you make them with Nestle, they will always taste the same and remind the kids of first day of school every year. I think it's an awesome tradition!! Just wish I could have helped them eat those cookies (sure Colt, one for you and three for me!! :)

Rach said...

Oh, she is so cute! I need to meet her...any trips to NYC coming up? I need to fly into Chicago next time I go home so I can see you first!

Cristy said...

:( What a big boy! It makes me sad how fast they grow.

I was so sad when Will started 1st grade and was gone the whole day. But I am SO happy school has started after this summer. Good gravy the energy, I totally get you sista.

And by the way I did nothing NOTHING special the first day of school. So way to go!

Genevre said...

At least you made cookies... I didn't even think about that- full day that is a blunt change... soon I am sure you will love it!