Monday, August 13, 2012

Roadtripping, Part I

This summer we planned our main vacation down to Texas.  Or as I liked to call it, my sabbatical, since I was gone for over three weeks.  It just made sense to leave the Chicago heat for the more stifling, scorching Texas temps.  Here the kiddos are right before we got on the road for the two day drive down.

Everyone's happy, rested, ready for the much anticipated vacay.  As my mom will attest this was the antithesis of our drive home.  Oh, heaven help me the road trip back was the worst ever in the history of road trips.  Ever.  But back to our happy drive down.  We stopped in nowhere Missouri where Delaney proceeded to eat an entire cheeseburger by herself.

And her mama was proud.  She was pretty proud of herself too, apparently.  We made it to Austin safe and sound just to give hugs all around and drop the kids off, then Evan and I headed for a little getaway of our own in San Antonio.  We considered it a "Happy 8 years" to us a few weeks ahead of schedule.  We stayed in a cute bed & breakfast, ate amazing food (if y'all are ever in San Antonio please do yourselves a favor and eat at La Fonda on Main), slept in, went shopping, watched late night movies and just hung out.

Here we are on the Riverwalk, happy, relaxed, and what's more, rested!  Two thumbs up for a little time just the two of us.  I highly recommend it.  After a couple of days alone, Ash and Logan made the trip out and we met at Adam and Valerie's house for some delish grilling out.

It was so great to hang out, play games and eat some amazing steaks.  Thanks for hosting us all Adam and Valerie!  The next day before we headed back to the kiddos, we stopped for brunch at this amazing old house that has been renovated. 

So pretty!  And we did what we Carletons do best and ate ourselves silly.

A huge, huge thank you goes out to my mom and sister, Heather (who flew down from Utah) for watching all of our kids, which is not for the faint of heart.  Like, the time when Cade woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't find the bathroom and ended up...ahem...peeing all over my mom.  Not for the faint of heart.  By the way, Mom, I think I owe you a cookie.  Probably two.

2 comments:

chanel said...

YAY!! GREAT UPDATE! I like especially that it says PART 1.... meaning Part 2 AKA anoher post is coming????? Baby girl's Bday perhaps?!?! Who by the way, looks so much like Cade! Thats all im gonna say.

And for the record, you make me want to leave my children like nothing else! Look how happy and in love you two are!! You're my FAVORITE people by far! I LOVE YOU!

Ok...part 2...im waiting!

Ashley said...

Yay for blog updates! Oh that was a fun trip - here's hoping May 2013 gets here sooner than later, because I don't know when I'm gonna see you again ;(. I hate that you're so far away, and Logan's dr. status is not benefiting me yet - I want to fly and see you. Maybe Evan should get that amazing promotion and then you'll be rich with DVR and you can send me your way to visit. ;) I'll buy you a cookie cake to pay my portion and say thanks ;) I'm very generous that way.

Love you!